Applying for Primary School
In Waltham Forest children usually start full-time education in a Primary School in the Autumn term of the year in which they become five years old.
If your child was born between 1 September 2015 and 31 August 2016 they are due to start in Reception class at a primary school from September 2020.
To be allocated a Primary/Infant School place for September 2020 you must apply, ideally online, by 15th January 2020 at the very latest.
How to apply
1. Click on the picture below to go to the Lodnon Borough of Waltham Forest page about applying for primary school:
2. Here you can:
- Download the pdf of the booklet ‘Starting Primary School in 2020’. In it you will find lots of information about the admissions process including a list of all the primary schools in Waltham Forest, a map of them, their addresses and their contact details and a link to https:\\www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk which allows you to search for schools based on your postcode.
- See how places were allocated to each school in each of the last few years
- Find out which schools ask for a Supplementary Information Form (SIF)
- Download a detailed guide to applying online, and the link to the eadmissions website, which is where you make your application: https://www.eadmissions.org.uk
To apply you must provide proof of your home address, your child’s date of birth and your child’s home address. If you apply online you can upload photographs of any paper documents you have.
We encourage you to visit all the schools you might want to apply to, so that you can make your own decision about which suits your child the best.
Contact each school to arrange your visits.
Some schools have additional entrance requirements, which they will tell you more about when you visit.
Who manages the process?
Places are allocated by the London Borough of Waltham Forest. If you still have a question about the process you can make an appointment to meet the Admissions Service at The Magistrates, 1 Farnam Avenue, Walthamstow E17 4NX. To book, call 020 8496 3000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Staff at the Nursery Schools can give you advice.
If you can't get online at home
If you can’t get online at home, or are having difficulties with the online application, please talk to your Key Person and we will support you.
You can also visit Leyton, Leytonstone, Walthamstow or Chingford Library, where you can use a self-service PC and staff will be able to support you.
When do I find out which school?
Parents will find out which school their child is going to by email on the 16th April 2020 or by post soon after.
You must respond to the offer by 30th April at the very latest.
When you find out where your child is going, please tell us so that we can make links with staff from you child’s new school.
Transition to primary school
In the Summer Term your child's Key Person will use the written observations that have been made throughout the year to complete their Transition Record. This is the final summary of your child’s achievements at nursery school. You will be invited to discuss their achievements and to read and comment on this record, which will then be forwarded to their primary school.
In addition to passing on these Transition Records, we support the exciting process of starting primary school by making contact with the reception staff at the schools, arranging visits and meeting with staff.